On the road again....FINALLY!

Friday, January 2, 2009

What a day...an early start didn't seem to help. LOL! So what else is new....we ended up chatting with several friends - some Stu had met in Livingston last winter (Mike & Ida), some I had met in Branson (Wanda & Wallace), some from the Escapee Class of 2007 (Marcia of Joe & Marcia, and Paul of Paul & Connie)) and some vendor friends I met at the Escapade in Goshen, IN (Smokey & Pam) last fall. Cards and hugs were exchanged and we got a final dog fix (thank you Smokey & Pam) before hitting the road shortly after 10:30. All in all, not a bad start to the day...

Then we hit the first accident on I-75, a 15 mile backup so we slogged along at about 2 mph (when moving) and exited in Wildwood. Stu wanted to visit the 75Chrome Shop to pick up some lug nut covers. It was now about noon...note, we got on I-75 at exit 309 and we got off at exit 329. Yup, almost 2 hours to go 20 miles.

We opted to NOT get back on I-75 since we knew we would eventually get off and head more easterly anyway. We headed out, keeping our eyes open for a convenient lunch spot. Not sure what town we were in, think it was close to Wildwood, but we found a little spot. Nothing to write home about but I sure liked the sign on the door! Gave us a giggle and had to snap this shot with my phone.

After lunch we continued on our way, eventually getting back on to the interstate system, I-10, west of Jacksonville. Traffic was flowing smoothly and we figured we'd stop at the first GA rest area to figure out where to head for the night. We picked a Wal-Mart at exit 38 and headed off. Next thing we know, another slowdown. This one was comprised of an accident and 14 miles of construction (the problem was the merge from 3 lanes into 2). We slogged along at about 4.5 mph this time and it was now getting dark. We had seen a billboard for a TA truck stop at exit 29 and we decided that was as far as we were going. When we got there, we found a Flying J as well.

We parked, ate a nice dinner and will hit the road again tomorrow. Our final destination is New Bern, NC but we don't know if we'll hit it tomorrow or Sunday. And guess what...it doesn't matter! LOL!

Till next time - keep on rollin',
Donna & Stu


  1. Whew,... sorry about accidents, never a good thing to see on the road. Glad you two are safe.

  2. Hey, Jerry and I are in Germanton, NC until Tuesday morning. If Bern is anywhere near here, call us! We would love to see you!

    Love ya! Karen and Jerry

  3. When you are as flexible as only RVers can be (and I guess bikers too!) how fun it is. Loved the sign.

  4. I am going to get a sign like that ! and one under it saying (depending on who you are and what the underware looks like).
    WELL -- It was a thought anyway !

  5. So good to hear from you. We just love Donna and of course, you as well Stu. Have fun wherever you are. Keep us in the loop.
    Larry and Judi

  6. I always try to leave "early" but the best I can do is 10am, takes a long time to get the RV slides, hose, cables in. It does not help that "maggie" keeps wanting my attention, and walks to deposit on the ground or water the grass.

    I got back from Seattle to find House batteries dead, the relay that controled charging failed (according to Good Sam Road Service) but no reason given for failure.
    No one with the relay was open so had to wait till friday, drove 180 mi RT to get part and 4 Golf Cart batteries. My brother installed everything to day so it looks like I'll be in Q on time.
    You and Stu seem to be having a great time, except for the Accidents on hiways.

    Happy New year to u both

  7. You're only a couple hours from Raleigh when you're in New Bern, if you're coming north, let me know! I'd love to meet you two. Dee & Jim


Love to hear from you - drop a few words and we'll reply!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Sharing is Caring...