We've arrived!

Thursday, December 27, 2018

After weeks of maintenance/repairs of the Freightliner and RV plus all the prepping of inside, we finally left the house on Christmas Day. We spent Christmas Eve in the RV while it was parked in the driveway, letting the #2doods get used to new surroundings as well as allowing me to wash and wax all the floors in the house. Always nice to come home to a clean home (yes, we spent a major part of the day cleaning...lol).

The #2doods did pretty well adapting, we set up one crate in the living room area and extra bed pad beside it.

They made themselves at home quick easily...and the evening passed quickly.

Next morning we got up early and did all the last minute things, including pulling in all the slides so Stu could air up all the tires. Then the two crates were stored in the garage beside the motorcycle. Then it was time to load the #2doods. Initially we planned on Cooper riding in the Freightliner with Stu and Murphy riding in the Jeep with me. First snafu, Cooper wouldn't get into the Freightliner without a LOT of help in addition to the ramp. Phew, both in their respective spots, we were ready to go. We had hoped to be out by 9am and managed at around 10am (which was actually 11am Eastern Time). Just in time to see some snow flakes!

We took I-40 over to I-75 and the traffic was as light as expected. Our first rest stop and the dogs had to be rearranged with both of them in the back of the Jeep. Cooper slept and traveled just fine, but getting out was worst then getting him in. Oh my! Not an issue for them though, they were doing wonderfully on the leash, behaving much better than we anticipated.

Due to the late hour, we planned to stop at the Flying J south of Atlanta and decide if we would boondock there or try to make it south of Macon and stay in a campground that night. We stopped and I got fuel but two issues. Stu was having some electrical problems with low voltage in the Freightliner. He was concerned we might have to replace the alternator before continuing. Second problem, there was no parking available at the Flying J so we headed over to the TA. Nope, full there, too. Fortunately there are two more truck stops there - Love's & Pilot. We found a perfect spot right next to a curb with a good grass area to walk the dogs behind us. With the rig backed all the way in, there was room for the car in front of it. Then came our next surprise. We had to use the side back door to get the dogs out. Murphy jumped right out! Cooper took a little persuasion.

The next day went well. The Freightliner batteries were recharged (we ran the generator all night to help charge them) and although it was showing only 10 volts when we headed out, it soon was up to 12 volts where it belonged. He thinks there might be a loose cable and we made it to the RV park around 1pm without further incident. Phew!

The park has nice wide spots on grass with a small concrete patio. We got the RV lined up and settled in quickly. The #2doods have lots of walking space with a very quiet road behind us and a huge field beside us. Initially we planned to board Murphy (who adapts quickly to most anything and anyone) so I would only have Cooper to deal with while Stu flew to Maryland for the funeral of a former coworker. But dealing with walking them both at the same time was much easier than anticipated. Oh, and another HUGE surprise. After using the ramp to get the dogs in and out at the truck stop and the first couple of times, as soon as we used the back steps into the garage both dogs quickly adapted to using the steps. No ramp! Then they did the same with the front door. SOOOOO much easier. Yay for smart pups!

Their crates are now set up in the garage, side by side. Their wet weather towels are stored on top and their toy box is available, too. We have A/C back there when it gets warm but for now we are more apt to be running heat. If the weather is bad, we can take them in and out back there and use the towels to dry and de-mud them. (Ignore the flattened boxes and paper piled on top...LOL)

This morning we crated the #2doods and headed out for the 45 minute drive to the Jacksonville airport. You do go through some small towns but the drive was easy, most of it on US Rt1. Back home and I got to open several boxes that already arrived from Amazon.

We originally planned to carry our older B&W laser printer in the RV but it was just too big since we took out the old wooden file cabinet, my computer card and rearranged the dining table into it's original position. After a little research I found and All-in-One HP inkjet printer for $20 on Amazon. Yes, you read that right. $20!! And the print cartridges are $15. Much smaller footprint and we will just pull the cartridges when we park the RV for summer. Since we no longer have a WiFi router in the RV, we will use it with a USB connection. It's been tested and works fine as did the scan function. Happy camper here! I'm sure this is an older model but for the price, it's hard to go wrong.

So the #2doods and I are settled in for some alone time until Stu flies back on Sunday. He arrives so late, he booked a hotel room and I will pick him up on Monday morning. The weather forecast for next week is COOL but we have plenty to do. I still have a lot of computer/office stuff to get settled. Stu has a lot of repair/maintenance chores on his list. We also need to take the pups over to meet their eventual boarding spot where the will meet the lady who runs the facility and her Boxer. We also plan to have lunch with the sister of a fellow firefighter friend. Then there are several interesting sounding spots to try for breakfast &/or lunch. We will take the bike out and explore when the weather permits.

Ahhhh, life is good!

PS. Need a last minute gift? Book One in the Klondike Mystery series, Not a Whisper, is on sale for a limited time. Only $1.99 until 12/31. Grab your copy or share as a gift!

Ciao for now!


  1. Oh my... sounds like a lot of planning. Guess I'm just too lazy and that is the reason we no longer full time. Would be nice to be in warmer weather a wee bit further south. You will surely enjoy your time there.

    1. This was worse than usual since the RV has sat for almost two years and we had moved a lot of stuff into the house. Then add in the #2doods. Next time around it will be much easier!

  2. Oh my... sounds like a lot of planning. Guess I'm just too lazy and that is the reason we no longer full time. Would be nice to be in warmer weather a wee bit further south. You will surely enjoy your time there.


Love to hear from you - drop a few words and we'll reply!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Sharing is Caring...